All international students are required to waive or enroll the Winthrop University Student Health Insurance Plan. Students holding comparable coverage may be eligible to waive enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan.
To be eligible for a waiver of enrollment in the Winthrop University Student Health Insurance Plan, the University requires that students provide evidence of other comparable health coverage. Please be advised that the waiver request will be reviewed and verified active with the insurance carrier. Notification of acceptance or rejection of this request will be sent to your email within seven business days.
Waiver requests MUST be submitted no later than February 1, 2019, to be considered.
International students must meet the following minimum requirements:
A. Criteria to submit waiver
1. Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States, and they guarantee payment of all health care expenses. Covered health plan must be comparable with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
2. Student is enrolled in an US employer-provided group health plan that is comparable with the Affordable Care Act.
Note: If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SHIP.
B. The alternative coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
1. Coverage must be effective on or before January 1, 2019.
2. Coverage must be effective form January 1, 2019 and end on July 31,2019.
3. Coverage cannot be renewed or paid month to month.
4. Proof of Repatriation and medical evacuation expenses in the combined amount of no less than $100,000. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SHIP.
The International Center will accept the following insurance policies for waiver purposes from BCBS:
• Lewermark International Student Health Insurance Plan
• Insurance provided to students sponsored by the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission
• Crystal Studies for ESICAD/ISCOM Exchange program.
If your alternate coverage meets the above minimum requirements, submit electronic copies of the following documents with your online waiver request:
1. A scanned copy of the front and back of your health insurance ID card indicating the student as a covered member.
2. A scanned copy of your complete policy, including coverage amounts, exclusions, and limitations in English using US dollars.
3. A scanned copy of your medical evacuation and repatriation coverage (if you have this coverage).
International Students: Click Here to Waive or Enroll